Leaf Tutorial

Friday, May 4, 2012


Here's that leaf tutorial I promised! I drew up a quick template for the leaf shape I used for those of you who find drawing a little tricky. (It's at the end of this post!)


Ok, trace the leaf shape (there's one big one and one small one) onto some green card. (The weight of the cardstock doesn't really matter)


Cut out. You could try experimenting with different shaped leaves with this technique, I used these for my hydrangea card


Score a line down the middle of your leaves and crease.


Ink the edges of the leaves, I used Antique Linen Distress Ink. The inking is optional, it depends on the look you're going for but it does add more depth.


Using a needle nosed tweezers pinch vein lines into the leaf. Make sure they line up with the notches in the edge of the leaf. Keep hold of the tweezers into the next step...


While holding the pinched tweezers twist in a clockwise motion (a turn to the right), this gives you the vein lines in the leaf. 


Repeat this process for the rest of the veins and remember to keep the lines parallel to each other. 


When you're doing the other side make sure both lines meet in the middle along the scored line.


Rub the Distress Ink over the top of the leaf to highlight the lines. (optional)


Here are the shapes that I used to make the leaves. I hope that helps! Below are a couple of cards I have used the leaves on.


When I drew the leaf shape I did have Hydrangea leaves in mind but they work well with other flowers too. 


Here I teamed them with a rolled paper rose.


A close up.


I hope you give them a go, you could try adding the veins to die cut leaf shapes too! It's a fun and pretty easy technique. I'll be back tomorrow with the previews for the Waltzingmouse Stamps May (mini) release! 

9 comments

  1. Thank you so much for this lovely tutorial .... your hydrangea is just BEAUTIFUL! I've subscribed to your blog and will be back to visit when I have time to enjoy all your lovely creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice leaves Clare. I loved the tutorial. I will most defiantly give them a try. Love both of your cards. TFS
    Blessings...Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful leaves Clare! Thank you for such a nice tutorial...going upstairs now to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thanks so much for this Clare! My sister in law is staying with me and we made your rolled roses last night so guess what we'll be doing tonight!! Great timing x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, we've had a great time playing tonight with this tutorial! The floor is littered with little clippings but we are so happy with the results. Come and see them here Clare http://margiesbluehouse.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/paper-roses-with-leaves.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful leaves Clare! thanks for sharing how to and inspiring us with your beautiful flower card samples!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these are so beautiful. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. absolute stunning - so effective! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Clare, Love your creations. Thanks for this tutorial - those leaves are perfect! Nicola x (in Dublin)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.